Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Thursday Jan 26....

Thursday I went on a reconnaissance mission to understand the nuts and bolts of the ever-intimidating ECC (Equity Chorus Call). This one was for “Beauty and the Beast” on Broadway and I knew it was going to be a mad-house and there was no chance I would be seen. Thankfully, I anticipated the hordes of humming blondes with their flirty dresses lining the halls and saved myself an early wake-up call. Instead, I even skipped the shower, discovering that enough anti-frizz serum can’t make any pile of dead curls work and took my time getting over to the Ripley-Grier studios. It was biting cold but the walk from the 6 train took me through the Fashion District. Windows blaring “WHOLESALE ONLY” teased me with flowing dresses and chic blouses. I turned my attention to finding Mood Fabrics where all the Project Runway beauty begins…I’ll have to look that one up I guess.
I arrived at Ripley Grier only to jump in the wrong elevator in search of the audition. I met another nervous non-equity cutie also lost. We found our way to a large mirrored dance-studio full of barely legal pretty girls putting finishing touches on makeup and fully armed with hot rollers and curling irons. After signing my name, 37th on the unofficial non-equity list (no EMC priority in ECC land) I found a seat on top of a portable ballet bar and settled in. Munching on my extra-special trail mix, I eavesdropped on nearby conversations, longing for the day when I’d have friends to catch up with and encourage. I did run into Michelle, a girl I met at Ogunquit on Monday. She was #8 on the EMC list on a day when the first 7 got called before lunch. I was sad for myself, sitting on my rear, hoping to be called, but I was definitely more sympathetic to her case. Michelle and I shared skepticism that we would be seen and as the time drew closer to call-time the room filled up with women, hungry to don a fork or a feather-duster costume on Broadway! The room got so packed (where is my camera when I really need it!?) that the monitor asked the non-equity girls to vacate so that more equity girls could move in. This time I found a spot of hallway next to my fellow lost and now new friend, Alex. We chatted for a while and discovered we were both trained in opera. She just graduated from college and had taken a one-hour train ride in from Jersey to make it to the call. Beauty and the Beast, she said, was the reason why she started pursuing musical theatre. I looked around at all these dreaming girls, perfectly coiffed and warmed up to change the casting world in 16 bars of music. The scene broke my heart, even more so when the monitor announced that the casting director did not want to hear any non-equity folks and didn’t even want to see our headshots and resumes. More than anything, this week has shown me in great big brush strokes the haves versus the have-nots. I’m not sure, as a privileged white girl, if I’ve ever experienced the second-class citizenship to this degree. I’m sure it will fuel some amazing auditions, autobiographies and acting choices to come!
Alex and I walked out together and she shopped with me for no-salt Katie’s bday present. I got her some really cute pink I heart NY pj pants as well as a Broadway collage magnet. I’m looking forward to seeing Alex again this next week when we fight for the right to sing for some other auditions!
I headed home and then returned to midtown to meet up with Donna Loewy, one of my coaches from CCM, and Andrew Garland, a colleague, also from CCM. Those two are making their Carnegie Hall debut on Friday as part of the Marilyn Horne Foundation. I tried to get tickets to their sold-out concert with no luck. They let me know about another Marilyn Horne sponsored-recital that afternoon featuring two colleagues I met when I was in Aspen. We hung out a bit before parting for a few hours.
I was super-productive, visiting Staples where a favorite NYC moment occurred.
Guy behind me to lady behind him: Do you want to go ahead of me?
Lady: No, why?
Guy: You keep bumping into me.
Lady: I’m sorry. I didn’t realize…
Guy: Well, you’ve done it at least three times!

Ah, such fun! I was able to mail Katie’s package before showering, working the diffuser (I’m afraid the end result is a little bit Jersey) and heading out to my first Carnegie Hall concert. Hannan Alattar with D-George teamed up in recital with an amazing tenor-piano duo. I never am moved to tears by a tenor…well, maybe Karim…but a big voiced, creamy tenor, with real emotional connection to his text….ah, it was stunning and I was weeping. I really LOVED it and was so thankful Donna and Andy had let me know about the sweet gem of an event. We waited together afterwards to greet the artists…such a crazy scene, full of the dignitaries of the NYC singing world. I have to admit the intimidation factor there is great. I was thankful to run into Camille, a friend from Aspen as well as the chance to greet Hannan, who didn’t remember me but told me I was her favorite audience member! I guess all that smiling comes through to the stage.
I felt filled with the excitement of being in NYC and the joy of being so close to such amazing music. Inspired to get to sing in that hall one day, I got back on the 6 train for what seemed like the 10th time of the day and settled in for the night.

No comments: