Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Oh to be Equity, the Met, and La Bodeguita!!!

It was a verrrrrrrrrrrrry eaaaaaaaarly morning! I actually kept waking myself up because I was worried I would sleep through my alarm. Turns out that would have been okay. I made it to the Actors Equity building at 7:15 (yes, AM) and was probably 30th in line for the audition sign-ups. The great news was that I was #4 in line for the EMC list. The bad news is that at 11 the monitor announced that there were still 40 Equity folks on the alternate list and that it was not looking good for us. Alas. Before I left I had the great fortune to run into a man who is an actor and singer who I met last night at the Bible Study. He gave me some great tips about an acting class and an open-mic night to check out. It was really nice to see his friendly face after hours of feeling pretty alone. The thing with these auditions is that it's such a small community that most people seem to know eachother (or at least it seems that way) and it's hard not to wish for that!
The disappointment of the morning definitely turned up when I met Nicole Etienne at the Met. She treated me and we caught up in the cafe in the atrium before she led me through the amazing "Americans in Paris" museum. My favorites were the Cassat paintings (especially the ladies at the opera and all the maternal scenes) and the John Singer Sargent portraits. So stunning. Once again, seeing all of those paintings that are so familiar up close made me a little verklemmt! We also toured around the Egypt exhibit as well as some Asian displays. I also loved the medieval sculptures of Jesus and Mary. It was really fun to be with Nicole and have that taste of home and family. On our way to our respective homes we stepped into a fancy gallery on 82nd St. that had a collection of Sargent paintings. The gallery was in one of the brownstone mansions that I've always wondered about. Amazing marble staircases....definitely worth the trip.
The best news is that even though RD is letting me write this presently on his internet connection very, very soon Adrienne and I will be hooked up with cable hi-speed internet. Hoorah! The no-internet ordeal has been quite a trial!!!!
But before we start celebrating I have one more fun story about our trip to La Bodeguita on 2nd Avenue. This time it was a real restaurant. We took our cab to the Gramercy Park area and had a lovely dinner. The jamon croquetas were my favorite....but of course the platanos maduros were also a hit. We tried some empanadas and for entrees their version of Ropa Vieja and Bistec de Palomilla. I prefer the Palo Alto food, in general, but it was such a treat to taste all those flavors again. There was a really cheezy keyboard musician who serenaded us more than we asked and I was busily taking pictures and looking for any sign of trademark infringement. Once again, no logos stolen. All is safe in La Bodgeguita land. Adrienne and I splurged and shared a coconut flan...our first non-darkest of dark chocolate desserts since her bday. Muy sabroso. It was definitely a great time and even that small little glass of sangria made me goofier than ever. The best and worst, perhaps, is that coming out of the cab just now, I managed to hit a parked S-series Benz with the yellow-painted door. Sorry to all of you Dads out there with your fancy toys. Park at your own peril when I'm around! The incident brought us many giggles and frantic running up into our apartment.
Good night for now!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

You are such a lush. Your mercedes incident made me laugh. So do the La Bo people care that their name is being used or just their logo? So cool that you got to see Nicole! I hate the equity union. hate it!