Wednesday, January 24, 2007

opera with teenagers..

Tuesday morning I ventured downtown to see a school show of "Signor Bruschino," a Rossini opera that Gotham Chamber Opera is mounting. Tawnya is playing viola in the pit and arranged a ticket for me to see it with a house full of teenagers. I loved the staging and the concept but a few of the director's choices were loaded with sexual inuendo and wow...i've never seen such a ruckus at an opera. It was pretty exciting, all in all! Maria d'Amato, a sweet friend from CCM and an amazing soprano, was covering the lead. I'm bummed because she has been en garde all week to go on for the principal who has been sick during the whole production process. I really wished I could have heard her sing. Alas. It was really nice to see her, regardless, in the audience. The opera was at the Henry Street Settlement and it was a really cozy and beautiful theatre but a huge hike from the 6 line (subway!). I did get to walk through Chinatown and on the way back, Orchard Street, aka "The Bargain District." Let me know if you'd like a leather jacket anytime soon! I did get a little lost and I have to say the Lower East Side is not my favorite spot.
Since I was "downtown" I took the opportunity to go the Astor Place K-mart...(why there are two or more? K-marts in this city and no Targets is a very sad story, but I digress) to pick up, drumroll please, a diffuser!!!! Can you believe it?...I've broken down after 28 years of no artificial hair-drying! But these early morning auditions with wet hair in 20 degree weather are just not a good idea. Success!
I also went ahead and made a Trader Joes pilgrimage. It was 2 pm on a Tuesday and the place was a zoo. I think I was in line for 25 minutes but I was excited to spot Angela from "Project Runway" wearing some crazy and colorful quilted pants. I stopped myself from taking a pic or grabbing an autograph. Maybe next time.
I went back to the musician's fellowship group...they are such a nice group of folks with amazing faith and prayers that definitely restored my soul! I especially am enjoying chatting with Audrey, a jazz wind-player who comes all the way from Princeton, NJ. She works pink as much as I do!
Adrienne and I made an awesome Greek Salad....note to everyone...if you haven't tried "Goddess Dressing" from Trader Joes or also by Annies....run, don't walk and get it. AMAZING and totally Dr. Oz approved!

1 comment:

Cheryl S. said...

Clapping for the diffuser. Yay! I have been worried about frozen curly locks. Love this blog thing. You're good at filling in the details. If the opera thing doesn't work out, maybe you could work on a script for a TV series about aspiring young performers?? Love ya lots!