Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Craigers!!!

Thursday, I went back to the slow dance class and I have now decided as fun as it is to watch Sean dance, it is no workout or challenge so I’m going to keep pursuing taking classes at Steps on Broadway (www.stepsnyc.com). There was a lady in the class who clapped to get his attention and yelled at him that she had to go back and teach him the beginning part because she didn’t get it. Oh dear. Unbelievable!!!
I showered and left a bunch of stuff at Equinox because our water was off from 9-4 at the apartment and then went on an adventure to Astor Place, in the East Village in search of Kmart. I’m still trying to find a rug and a lamp for my room. Since my room wasn’t always a “room” it has no lighting other than the shining sun. Also, the hardwood floors are amazing but the apartment insists that we cover a certain percentage of it with rugs for noise reduction, etc. So…..I was hoping Martha would hook me up but she didn’t and Kmart was kind of a bust. The one fun thing was that the basement of Kmart was connected to the Subway and so I swiped my card through only to find I was on the downtown side when I needed to go uptown. Usually there is a way to go under or around but this one was a dead end. So then I crossed the street but note to all, if you’ve just used your unlimited MTA pass, it won’t swipe successfully. I tried to get help from an attendant but I didn’t understand what she was saying and I missed the train. So, sad recent NYer that I was gave up and got back on the street. I then got really lost in the East Village but found a hole in the wall called “Pommes Frittes” on 2nd Ave that I’ll have to take Filip! I took a pic. I finally made it to Trader Joes to return the sugar-laden products we mistakenly bought on Saturday and picked up a few things before taking the limited bus home.
Craig Verm, friend from Rice and CCM, and amazing baritone had an audition on the East Side in the late afternoon. And he had flown in from Pittsburgh and was waiting in my apartment lobby when I got home. I was excited to make him lunch but then I remembered the no water situation. We went to a nearby Israeli café that I had been eyeing “Effy’s Café” and enjoyed catching up with eachother. It was really, really great to see him and feel home and full of joy in his presence. He caught me up on his various jobs and wife Karen and dog Bella! It worked out pretty well that my boxes arrived in the window that he was there…he helped me bring them up to my apartment. The heaviest box with all my books nearly didn’t make it in one piece….there was a huge gash in one of the seams…but thank you LORD, all the books are fine!!! Yay!
Craig gave me a list of about a dozen pianists he recommended which was awesome information that I needed! I walked him out and went on a walk to retrieve my gymbag and to search for some hangers. Once again, no internet access today so I spent a bunch of time writing this novella for you. I promise I’ll cut out some of the gory details in the future.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I love the gory details, especially the ones about food. I forwarded the link to Filip since you gave him a shout out. Mmm...frites.