Sunday, January 21, 2007

Soon I promise..and finally caught up!

Saturday….can you believe it? For the first time in many days, I’m actually writing this today, Saturday. Yay for catching up! Maybe this way, you’ll get more raw, honest entries than grocery lists. No promises!!!
It was a glorious day at Equinox. Instead of fighting my way into Abby’s sculpt class and because I don’t like lifting weights on audition days (tension) I chose to take a Nia class with a new teacher to me. The best part was that I made a friend, something I thought was impossible at this gym! Gail was new to Nia and we bonded over how much we loved shaking our bones. The teacher, Jayne, even had us do partner exercises where we had to tell each other our stories with our bodies. All of a sudden I felt like I was in acting class again! The only bummer about my new friend Gail is that she told me she’s moving to London in April to be with her fiancée but I know I will enjoy shaking bones together until then! Abby’s dance class was amazing…I LOVED it. Instead of the usual hip-hop style we did a lyrical routine to this amazing song that I need to find on I-tunes. I think it might be called “Keep Holding On”…that at least is the climactic lyric so if any of you out there know what I’m talking about let me know. Oh my gosh, I felt like Alison on “So you think you can dance”….it was amazing…I would love to learn more about lyrical and modern dancing. It really moves me. One thing Abby said today I loved….she told this really cute little dancer to be a little less Mozart and little more Brahms. She explained that Mozart is all about showing off….look at all the notes I can play…aren’t I great…while when you play Brahms you are consumed by the music and the audience is more voyeuristic…watching you experience the music. Cool, huh?
Those classes were exactly what I needed to get my audition day going! I was so full of creative energy and joy!
I came home and cleaned and prepped for the audition. I don’t know if I mentioned before that this audition was kind of a private invitation to sing for the director of the Opera Company of Middlebury. They are putting up “A Little Night Music” in June and I had seen a notice of the audition for next weekend and had submitted my materials. I guess he was just flooded with submissions and had already filled up his slots by the time he got to mine but he was impressed by my resume and thought I would be a good candidate for Anne. (I think so too!) Anyhoo…it was a really exciting opportunity. Because of my coaching with Jon, I was feeling really good about it, but I still used that nervous energy to do some serious cleaning! Adrienne was so encouraging and even did my make-up. She is a pro and was so cute as she was doing my eyes…”Oh yeah, ooh…gorgeous…etc, etc.” The audition was at 11th and W. 52nd. The thing about the Avenues is that they are REALLY long. My subway stop was at 52nd and Lex which is about 9 Avenues down from 11th. And….did I mention how cold and windy it is? CRAZY! But the walk definitely kept my energy up. I arrived at about 4:52 and met the director straight away. I was a bit nervous because he was really insistent that I be ready right at 5 and Jon was coming straight from a matinee of The Color Purple. All was well because Jon got there with 4 minutes to spare! It was such a blessing to have him play. Not only is he an amazing pianist but also the director was able to focus on me and not on how to play the piano! I sang “Soon” and “What Good would the Moon Be”….both went well, I thought and I was able to channel fun and alive Kristen instead of nervous Kristen. I also did a cold reading and the director told me he was from Dayton so we chatted a bit about that. He was very nice and complimentary but he will be hearing a bunch more singers so I won’t know until after next weekend. I was just so thankful for the opportunity and also glad for having a great audition under my belt to keep me confident for the ones to come!
Adrienne and I are chilling at home tonight. I’m catching up, well, now caught up on my entries so I’m feeling pretty good. I’m excited for what tomorrow will bring!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

What is Nia and why do you keep talking about your bones? It scares me a little.

Seriously though, I love your blog. I feel totally art-deprived now. Thanks. Just kidding. I am so happy for you - it sounds like the perfect environment for you. I cant wait for your big break!