Sunday, January 21, 2007

Discovery Tuesday

Tuesday was my discovery day in the world of crashing equity auditions. I was so anxious about all the unknowns of the process when I woke up...I didn’t want to get out of bed! But I did, and I showed up and learned a bunch! The Pittsburgh Civic Light Opera audition was at the Actors Equity Building….a fancy building thanks to the dues of poor starving artists! While I wasn’t able to crash the audition (too many Equity actors signed up for auditions) I learned all about how it works and how my EMC card (which I finally got that day) would allow me to get on a slightly preferred list over the regular non-equity folks. (EMC means I’m an Equity Membership Candidate, based on the points/weeks I’ve spent working in Equity Contract Companies).
Tuesday I also discovered the musicians’ fellowship bible study and I loved it. A very multi-generational group of musicians of all sorts of disciplines, they were welcoming and insightful and provided just the kind of encouragement that I was thirsting for!!! I had the chance to pray with two of the girls, one a horn player who was off to play in the pit of Wicked, and the other a masters’ student in piano at the Manhattan School of Music. I was so thankful to be in fellowship and I’m really looking forward to next week!
I was in the neighborhood (UWS) and though I was a bit tired from my big day of discovery I decided to try an advanced-beginner jazz class at Steps. Remember my post about the advanced-beginner tap class….eeek…this one was just as challenging and beyond me….I could tell, once again, I was the only newbie as the whole class did the warm-up without the instructor. I loved the teacher, Jay T. He was warm and encouraging and his choreography (to Peter Frampton!) was awesome. If I take my brave pills I may go back but I really felt like the ugly and uncoordinated duckling. It’s definitely time to try some true beginner classes!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Just hearing about your dance classes gives me anxiety. Seriously, I feel out of place in a darkened spin class where you cant possibly look dumb. You rock.

Lisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.