Sunday, January 21, 2007

1st NYC audition and CCM reunions

Wednesday morning I got bright and early to attempt my second Equity crashing…this time, for a new musical about NY bike messengers called "Magpie." The audition was in Grenwich Village on a really cute street. The weather has turned extremely cold and the walk there was brutal but it was a worthy hike. I ended up being second on the EMC list and got to sing in the second group. Amazing! I learned a lesson about song choices…I sang “How could I ever know” forgetting that when I’m nervous my low voice goes bye-bye. The high notes worked well but the other stuff not so much. The casting director was nice and said “ Pretty, pretty” before asking how tall I was. I met another non-equity gal who was really nice and helpful named Thalia. I’m sure I’ll run into her again soon.
My new favorite thing, have I already said this?, about NYC are the coffee carts/trucks with the $1 cups of coffee. Love them and I found a great one in NOHO on my way back home.
Wednesday afternoon I met up with Liz Russ, friend from LAHS and NY opera singer and our common friend Jackie Enrique. Jackie studied at CCM with me and at Oberlin with Liz for their undergrad. I was most excited to talk to Jackie about my time at La Bo because she is my only Cuban friend and had introduced me to friend plantains in the ‘Nati. We ate lunch at the most overpriced restaurant with mediocre food I’ve come upon…but it was right next to the Empire State Building so that wasn’t so surprising.
I walked around a bit in the bitter cold before meeting up with Adrienne at the Rockefeller Center, where she still works for Bank of America. We met up with David Lemly McFerrin, a friend from CCM, who now is studying at the Juilliard Opera Center. It was great to see David and we went to Ollie’s and caught up. David and I went to the New York Festival of Song concert at Juilliard….the NYFOS is a series of concerts that Steven Blier founded…he’s an amazing pianist and artist and he creates ensembles and scenes in carefully planned programs. The program’s theme was Songs of Peace and all the singers were from Juilliard. They were some really special moments and I was so glad to be back in that environment, listening to beautiful and artistic singing.
After the concert David and I spotted none other than Lorenzo Malfatti, my professore and mentor from the Lucca program. I love that man to pieces and he’s always been such a great cheerleader. He lives in Pittsburgh but is in town to hear Lucca auditions. It was so wonderful to see him…what a treat! I’m going to write him a letter as he told us he doesn’t do the computer thing!!! ☺

No comments: