Friday, January 19, 2007

shopping with celebrities and sweet potato-chicken curry

Saturday morning I decided to take Abby's "Body Sculpt" class before dance in hopes that it would be less stressful to claim my "spot" for dance! Oh my word...there is nothing like fighting the U-E-S excer-maniacs to get a spot in the studio!!! I ended up on the very back wall....with 10 inches of space between me and the wall. There was one other girl who was as screwed as I was...and she left in frustration mid-class. Bad idea!!!! Abby has a really great sense of humor but leaving class without putting your equipment away was a NO-NO! I watched in horror as she followed the girl out and then made her take her equipment out the long way, through the cardio room, just for some extra embarassment. I think Abby is amazing and funny and lifting weights to her comedy act just makes me giggle...and that beats boredom! Dance class was even more fun this week because I was familiar with the routine. Confidence in the steps makes all the difference! I even got a comment that I was a good dancer from one of the U-E-S. Crazy! A funny thing was that I ran into Lindsay Frugaletti, sister of Mike Frugaletti, and a former Dance Attack superstar. She was a guest at the class and I begged her to teach some more at my Equinox. It's crazy in this city how even though you feel like you're all alone all and there are so many strangers all around.....you end up running into people you know! Later that afternoon I ran into Sara and Eric, Adrienne's good friends that we had hung out with Friday night, at Anthropoligie. I went on a shopping adventure to return my new Urban Outfitters rug. Cute as it was, it didn't match my green comforter. At Bed Bath and Beyond, I was searching for coatracks when I saw Tyne Daly (from Judging Amy). She ended up following me at one point...and seemed like a nice, down to earth person!
I had really wanted to go to my first Carnegie Hall performance that night but I got the time wrong and the Bach St. Matthew Passion was completely sold-out. Oh well. It gave me a great opportunity to visit the Apple store (this amazing crystal cube right in front of the CBS headquarters...where I kept seeing replays of Kerri Walsh playing volleyball on their display tvs) and get my airport base station.

Sunday, I tried out the U-E-S Redeemer AM service held at Hunter College. I walked the 30ish blocks because I love discovering all the shops and markets. I should write down what treasures I find but usually I just get excited with hopes that I'll return at some point. The seats in the auditorium were definitely more comfortable than the crowded, no-leg-room slanted pews of the U-W-S PM venue....but it definitely felt less like a church and more like an auditorium. A String Quartet and organ led the worship with beautiful movements of Mozart and Medelssohn quartets as serving as the prelude and postlude music. The message again was amazing...now we're in a series about The Cross...already leading up to Easter! I did shake hands with a bunch of people but my pink coat got a complement from the girl to my left which enabled more of a conversation to open up. Still, it's awkward and hard to really connect with people in such a large setting. There was an all-church business meeting following and while I thought about staying, as I'm pretty sure this is the church I want to serve with...the awkwardness was too much, and I took off.

Sunday night Jon came over for dinner and I made a new recipe....a sweet potato and chicken curry served with whole wheat cous cous. It was a big hit! We watched "Little Miss Sunshine" whose title-aspiring character is so lovable!!!!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

So still no rug success yet? Sorry. I loved LMS. The best scene was when they get pulled over and you think they are going to get busted by the cops for having a dead body in the car. But no. hahahahahah.You dinner sounded divine. Wow. Please post all of your meals so that I have some inspiration for what to cook my poor hungry family. Char got a haircut and new shoes today. I will send you pics later. XOXO