Thursday, January 18, 2007

advanced beginner tap

I'm a pretty good tapper...when I think of my dancing "skills" I'd put tap close to the top. In fact, Miss Cabot entrusted her tappers to me this summer for some beginner lessons. I thought choosing advanced beginner tap was a very safe and low-ball choice for my first class at Steps on Broadway. I had gone to another NIA class Friday morning and used my precious few minutes of gym internet time to check out the class schedule. I jetted home with hopes of making it to an 11:30 class. Here comes the East-side/West-side issue. The crosstown bus is the easiest way to get across the park but buses, during the daytime, when taxis are weaving and lights are turning red and people are taking their time getting on and off....are sometimes not the fastest. It can take up to 25 to 30 minutes just to go from 3rd Avenue to Broadway...so, I missed that 11:30 class. I then had over an hour to kill on the West side...the side everyone tells me is much hipper than my snobby neighborhood. I do love the character of the West side and for me it represents every other NYC experience I've had until now. From my first stay with Tawnya 6 years ago, to one shady visit to the 66th Street YMCA, to stays at Karim's loft on 86th...it's all I've known until now. Friday was one of the days I was completely obsessed with finding a rug for my bedroom and I looked everywhere until happening upon Urban Outfitters and finding gold!
But back to tap...I was excited to get my keyring Steps card and signed up for my class. There were only 8 students and I was the only new one. Whew. I was in trouble. The teacher's style was rhythm tap, pretty different from the theatre-style tap that I can hack. She would perform a step and then we were to repeat it in time....no breakdown, no calling out, flap, shuffle, hop, no nothing!!! Eek. I was sweating bullets for multiple reasons...a few steps I could manage but I found myself anticipating failure and then getting flustered. The teacher was really nice and didn't bar me from coming to future classes...which I half-expected.
Imagine...if this was advanced beginner....what would intermediate look like? I won't know for a very long time. So, I guess the lesson, is like many lessons in the big apple...you may think you're a tapping pro...but here, you've only just begun.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I thought advanced beginner was kind of an oxymoron anyway. Will it always be the same teacher? I cant believe I know someone who lives in the upper east side. You need to post a link of your rug! And pics of your room/apartment/doorman. hahaha. What did your room used to be?