Sunday, April 1, 2007

yet again...more pirates!

Surflight Theatre on the Jersey Shore had their last of 3 days of open calls on Wednesday so I woke up early to compete with the crowds. Arriving at the studio at 7:15 am I was only the 46th craziest person there. I had about 2 hours to kill before they called the list and so I got some coffee and listened to cds I had borrowed from the library. I ended up getting an appointment at 10:30 and met a few girls I had seen a bunch at other auditions. They were both EMCs and we were commiserating about wishing we could be in several places at one time to hold our places in line. Alas. Oh, wait, that's a funny NYC thing....you don't stand in line, you stand on line. You get on line for the audition. Weird!!! I met a sweet girl who had taken a train at 4:30 in the morning to get there from Baltimore. It was her first audition in NYC and she was so nervous so I tried to be as encouraging as possible. I actually didn't sing my best, cracking a bit on a low note, and they didn't ask me to stay to dance. Always disappointing, of course, but I was thankful for the free day ahead. I went to the annual Capezio flagship store sale and also to Anthropologie where once again a pink coat, this time an appropriate weight for spring, called my name in the clearance section. I've never needed a spring coat until this March. I can't wait for you all to see it.
I was really excited to return to Steps and take Germaine's Adv. Beg. Broadway Tap class again. I just LOVE her. She is so encouraging, even when I'm awful and I even feel like I'm improving! Hurrah. I'm hopeful I can go back again in the next few weeks. It had been so long because of the crazy audition schedule.
My friend Dani Marcus, who I met through Molly Bell and her Divas for Life concert is currently starring in the National Yiddish Theatre's "Pirates of Penzance." She plays Malke, aka Mabel in this production, entirely in Yiddish. I was so excited to go see her in this and add one more Pirate show to my arsenal. Dani was a complete standout with crystalline high notes and lots of chudzpah! Oy veh. It was super cute and in a lovely theatre at the West Side JCC. I was actually wishing that I had tried out for one of the other sisters...I think all those voices telling me that I could pass for a nice Jewish girl are sinking in...I think I would've blended right in with those girls! But the yiddish...oy...that has to be tough to learn. Lucky for us in the audience, there were subtitles in both English and German.
I ended up taking a cab home. I never ever take cabs because I have an unlimited metro card and I don't like to throw the money away. Adrienne and I laugh about how she always ends up taking cabs and how we'll be headed somewhere and she'll say, "I'm taking a cab...you can either join me or I'll see you there." But that night, by myself and late at night, I went for it...about 4 minutes and $8 later I felt like a true upper-east-sider, hopping out of the cab in front of my doormanned building. I'm a very lucky girl.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Please post pics of said coat. ASAP. I believe photo uploading is one of the key features of blogger.com.

inkblots said...

Yes, please do post pictures of your pink Spring coat! I fell victim to the wiles of Anthropologie yesterday and got a Spring dress... it's raining in Los Altos :(