Thursday, April 5, 2007

Disappointment and...guests of the star

I realized that this is a slow week in the audition circuit, probably because casting directors are on vacation like everyone else in the country! So, again, I didn't go out for any auditions but instead went to Nia class and did some library research before heading midtown to meet Jenny for lunch. It was a miserable, miserable rainy day. Like I've said before, rainy days in NYC are not very pleasant...between navigating around dangerous umbrellas and flooded subway stations, it's just not a lot of fun. At least Jenny is fun and I loved hearing all about her weekend with her sister in Nashville and plans for her upcoming knee surgery. I took a crosstown bus and then the subway to get to my tap class with Germaine. So fun! I recently switched over to heeled tap shoes and it makes life so much harder but apparently you are a sissy if you are still in flats. No sissies here. I met Kat for coffee after class and we had such a great talk. It is so nice to have her support and friendship...we are both trying to navigate life out here and beyond opera together and we are always trading tips and coaches, etc. While we were together I got a call from Melanie. She had mentioned on Sunday that she might have an extra ticket to "Die Agyptische Helena" at the Met starring Debbie V. I had been waiting to hear from her if her "friend" had been able to get her tickets. Well, her "friend" came through and I made plans to meet her at 7:30 at the box office.
I rushed home to change and grab a bite to eat. Earlier in the day I had gotten my contract for Millbrook via email and had inquired about the fact that it said, "Mrs. Darling in Peter Pan and nun in Do Black Patent Shoes..." whereas he had offered me Sister Helen specifically over the phone. I emailed him back and asked for clarification to which he replied that IF he had said that he was very sorry and mistaken and that I was indeed going to be playing the soprano nun but was down for the Sister Helen cover. He said he would understand if that changed my decision. My stomach turned under me with disappointment. I know that Sister Helen wasn't a big role but something about it was really exciting to me and who wants to be "nun" when you can have a name? I'm so glad I called Mom and received her sweet words of encouragement as well as precious Charlie telling me he loves me. What more could a nun wish for? You know, I am disappointed, because I feel like I just got demoted, but I also recognize that it's a three-week show and is not going to determine my future. God is taking care of me and even in this He reminds me that I'm not on earth to be a star or even a semi-star in the middle of PA, but rather to be his child and bring Him glory in the face of disappointment and success. And boy did He have a sweet gift to soothe me in store!

I feel like I need to set this chapter apart...because this may have been the most amazing experience to date in NYC!!!! So, I knew that Melanie had recently become friendly with Debbie V. but when she was dangling the carrot of these tickets via her "friend" she never made that connection clear. Well, when she walked in armed with 2 dozen tulips for her "friend" my question was answered. Debbie hooked her up with two tickets on the front row, on the center aisle!!! Soooooooooo awesome! I LOVED being so close because not only could I see every breath each singer took, I could also see every breath each instrumentalist took, not to mention hear the sighing and grunting of the conductor engrossed in the Strauss score. I read in the program notes that this opera, one of Strauss' less famous works, had not been seen at the Met since 1928 and was in fact by Ms. Voigt, considered the leading interpreter of Strauss. She was amazing, illustrious, beautiful, so composed and in control of the stage in each moment she was on it. I also fell in love with Diana Damrau singing the lighter, more coloratura part of Aithra. Beautiful, beautiful voice and such an actress. I am so excited to follow her career and hearing her inspired me to practice my Strauss! The production was "interesting" with an extremely raked stage and a harsh set with cutouts of oversized doors and running men with extreme colors in the costumes pointing to the different worlds of mortals and gods. My favorite costumes were the chorus of elves in bright blue with white wigs and beards. At intermission we saw Karen and Mark and chatted with them. I think Mark introduced me to someone really influential in the opera world but I have no idea who she was. I guess Mark had done the opera before at Santa Fe and neither he or Karen were big fans of the work. It's not particularly tuneful but the performances alone were just amazing. I couldn't get over the long phrases that were sung with such ease and all the colors and depths and heights that Debbie had to navigate. At the curtain call someone actually threw a bouquet of roses from the 4th balcony and nearly missed Diana D's head. Melanie opted not to throw her heavy tulips to Debbie. Dangerous! We made our way to the backstage entrance where we had to pass through 3 different guards before being shuffled to the artists' guest lounge. On the way there, we ran into mezzo Jill Grove who played the strange Mussel character and Melanie introduced me to her. We waited for quite a while for our "friend" to get out of costume and make-up and I enjoyed the time chatting with sweet Melanie. She is a singer as well and such a character! I mean, how lucky am I that she chose me of all people to share this opportunity. I enjoyed watching Debbie take the fawning compliments from her fans with such grace and humility. She is so down-to-earth. I tried not to gush too much but thanked her for the ticket and then she invited us to go eat dinner with her at Fiorello's. Weighed down with bouquets Debbie led us out to where her car was waiting. As we got to the parking garage a group of about 12 die-hard fans were eagerly waiting to give her gifts and have her sign programs. She knew many of them by the name because they come to EVERY single performance and wait for her each night. One man had a stack of 6 programs and he named each one that he had missed getting her autograph...I was thinking "EBAY!!!" as he brought out each program. One woman is from Poland and was wearing a home-made t-shirt with her picture on it. She travels all over the world and sees every one of her performances. WHOA! I wish I had videoed the whole scene...it was amazing. We got into the black car and literally drove across the street to Fiorello's where we (because we were with SHE) were treated like royalty. Prosecco and antipasti brought to the compliments, via the management, etc. But other than several interruptions of adoring fans, the four of us chatted mostly about the perils of dating, online and otherwise. I really liked Debbie's friend Jane as well. I had a piece of Debbie's yummy pizza margherita even though it was midnight...and Melanie and I ate some fruit. I hugged them good-bye as they were whisked off to mid-town in the black car and headed home on the subway and then via cab because it was after 1 and apparently the bus wasn't going to come for another 20 minutes. As I sat in the cab I just kept thinking, did that really happen? I mean, how did I go from singing Strauss in my shower to dining with the star of the Met? WHOA. I guess the short answer is the church. Another reason to go to church, folks, in case you needed one! :)

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh my gosh, I have so many reactions to all of this I must talk to you in person. Suck about the nameless nun. You are taking this much better than I would be. I guess it wasnt negotiable, eh? Who am I kidding, I hate negotiations anyway. I love love loved the Debbie V dinner story. Un-freaking-bleivable. I cant believe you talked to her about dating. Hee!!! I want to know more, more more!!

Cheryl S. said...

If that's not a "I'm still taking care of you" story . . . I don't know what is. A hug from above. Great story. Pass the prosecco! :-)

inkblots said...

WOW! What excitement and fun! I love that you were so close to the performers and star at work and play.

Sorry to hear about the Sister Helen disappointment, but I'm sure you'll be the best nameless nun there ever was :)

seri q said...

so so fun to hear about your adventures. :) :) are you back? are you on your way back? when will i see you?? whenwhenwhen.