Thursday, April 5, 2007

On strike

Tuesday I went on strike and didn't go to any auditions. Honestly there weren't any that were right for me, now that I have June and part of July set apart for Millbrook. But the non-jaded me might have gone regardless. This morning I did a bunch of errands that had been hanging over me, worked out, organized my life and made it to Bible Study armed with my world-famous brownies. We met at Rose-Marie and Louis' apartment near Lincoln Center. They are such a neat couple. I especially adore Rose-Marie. She is French and has some European quirkiness mixed in her very loving and transparent heart. She also uses some fun translations and pronunciations that make me grin. Louis and R-M have a little blue parakeet that was making all sorts of noise while we were reading a passage from Romans. I totally got the nervous giggles but was glad that Amber, sitting across from me, was similarly distracted. The bird who had been swooping over our heads was relegated to the bedroom. Amber had told Mark that I had gone to see the show so as soon as I walked into the apartment he chastized me for not letting him know I was coming and that he would have put me on the list to go backstage. Well, I don't know the protocol of these things. I've never had a friend who stars at the Met! It was a really great study and I feel like I'm getting more comfortable sharing with these new friends. I had to jet right away because Chris and Laura had invited me over to dinner at 6:30. It was already 6 and it was going to be a serious stretch getting back uptown and crossing to the East side. Melanie really wanted to walk with me towards the subway and so I lingered a bit longer than I probably should have. I ended up taking the subway from Columbus Circle and I was so frazzled that I ended up on a downtown train! When we got to 50th Street I decided to hop out, call Chris and Laura and tell them what an idiot I was, and hoofed it to the East side. Of course every tourist and travelling business person is out on the streets of midtown at the same time, so it was quite a challenge. I just hated to be late because I know how hard it is to delay dinner when you have little ones. I finally got to the 6 train and made it one stop to 59th when they held the doors open and announced there was a police investigation regarding an unruly passenger at 77th and the train would be indefinitely held! GREAT! I hopped out and thought about walking the 35 blocks before opting for a quick cab.
On the elevator ride up to their apartment a really cute boy saw my tupperware of brownies and said, "Somebody's lucky." I told him, yes, they were and all about my wild ride to deliver them, yada, yada. He lives on the floor above Laura and Chris and we joked that I should have given him one or gone up to his floor and rung every doorbell until I found him. Ha ha. His wife probably would have answered the door. I had so much fun playing with the girls, setting up a tent, meeting their neighbor, Howard, and his son Eli while Laura prepared an amazing dinner. Howard has a Wheaton named Bernie who was soooo sweet. Howard said I could come borrow him sometime which actually sounds so fun. Whenever I go to Central Park and see all the dogs I get jealous and yet it would be really hard, well, impossible at this stage, to have one of my own. But just to borrow one occasionally, I love it! I loved seeing the neighbors all together and witnessing the Seals doing what I know them to do best, creating community and depth. What an amazing thing that little Eli would be the same age as Ellie. We talked a lot about how it is hard to meet your neighbors unless you have kids or a dog. Thus, I'll borrow Bernie! Dinner was so good...Laura made this chicken on a brick, where she stuffed garlic and rosemary and all sorts of deliciousness between the skin and oh, was it tasty! I even got to take home the left-overs. I'm so thankful for the Seals, for God showing his kindness and care for me in the form of their family, and for reminding me that though the city is big, there are neighbors and friends all around.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I am glad you got a day off from waiting for nothing. And, yes, you must somehow reconnect with the cute elevator boy. How bout you create a post in "Missed Connections" on craigslist?? Anyone that already appreciates your cooking prowess gets immediate points.

Laura said...

Ah, we made the blog!
I'm really glad you're here, neighbor.

inkblots said...

I believe the score is now:
"Really nice potential girl friends"-39
"Cute boys"-1