Thursday, February 8, 2007

oh the places i went...

It's official. I completely wore myself out today. I went to bed with every ounce of muscle, bone and thought spent. I didn't brave any EPA auditions...nothing interesting enough to get out of bed for and then not get called. Do I sound like I'm getting cynical? Well, maybe a little bit, but also a little choosier. The extended vacation is about me getting better and getting to the next level and some days I need to do that by myself. I had really missed my NIA classes so I went to one of those in the morning. The theme for the day: taking our time. What a good theme for me!
I've been really frustrated with my hair out here. I know it is quite vain to admit it but I hate how I look like a mess everywhere I go...when I use the diffuser I end up looking frizzy and frazzled or like Jersey. It's not real great...I think it might be a product issue. So, after the gym I took a shower and tried a new technique of styling my hair and then applying product...much better result but I'm still working on it. Suggestions?
I went to two dance classes at Steps. See, I told you I was vain. I was sick of looking like the wicked witch of the west at all these classes. It is strange how not being apalled by what you see in the mirror does inform your dancing. Deep thoughts...
I took Beginning Theatre Dance again and I got called out at one point for not extending my arms on this one move. I thought it was a little unfair as I was just trying to avoid running into the ballet barre, but, hey, I'm here to learn! I then took Germaine's tap class again. I really really like her and even though I am one of the slowest she always makes me feel good, and as though she's glad I came. I have to say that three dance classes in one day was a little draining and by the end of tap I was giving up in using my brain to remember combinations, etc. I'll remember that next time.
I next headed off to my first lesson with Carol. Yesterday it took me about 45 minutes but at $100/hr (and that's pretty reasonable, if not cheap here for a voice lesson!) I was taking no chances! I was so beat from dancing that I fell asleep a little on the train but clutched my valuables close to me. I ended up getting to Inwood about a half-hour early which was kind of a bummer because unlike the parts of NY that I usually frequent there is no Starbucks, no delis or any kind of store in which to browse. I mean, I guess if I was truly desperate, I could strike up a conversation at the gas station or body shop. I took a walk in the freezing cold and found a really beautiful park. Her apartment overlooks a bridge as well as the Columbia football stadium. Finally, 5:30 arrived and I had a great lesson. Her technique is new to me...all about onset and keeping the throat open. I found myself singing much "bigger" than I'm used to. It's a little scary but it doesn't hurt and she's in her 60s and can still sing like a goddess. I'm really excited as I feel like this may be the technique that gets me over high note issues for good. Yippee!
I took the train home and then the crosstown bus. I quickly grabbed some dinner before heading to Union Square. I had an audition scheduled at 9:20 for Theatre Ludicrum, a theatre company specializing in classic plays that they modernize. I'm frankly not that interested in the project but a scheduled audition is always a great opportunity to practice auditioning. I went to Trader Joes first madly picking up the 12 most necessary items so that I could be in the 12 or less line...it was still a total madhouse and they were out of our Fiber bread...but I got out just in time! I took the L train to 8th Street and walked a few blocks to the Atlantic Theatre Company which is housed in a really fancy building...they took my picture and gave me a label to wear with my picture, etc. Very swanky, especially for a place to learn how to be a starving artist! The audition was interesting with two somewhat awkward but really nice men running it. I did my monologue, then a strange cut of "Simple Joys" that threw the pianist so we did it twice and then two monologues from their script. There was a crazy Latin name in one of them and I had asked how to pronounce it. When I got to it in the reading, I totally blanked. Ah! I think it was fine and like I said, I don't want the job, so it's all good!
It took forever to get home but I finally made it back at around 10:30.
And if you haven't guessed it's now Thursday morning and I just had the best 8 hours of sleep since I can remember! I just counted and yesterday I got on 3 different busses and 7 different trains. Thank goodness for the unlimited metro card!

2 comments:

Cheryl S. said...

Worn out from reading about your energetic pursuits . . . I was barely able to stand on my chair and applaud. Way to go, Kristen! I just made Chocolate Mousse Torte to take to our Valentine's Dinner tomorrow night. It will take three dance classes to wear off a piece of that! XO Nana

Lisa said...

What are your high note issues? And how much is the unlimited metro card?

Your day did sound totally exhausting. I think Char gets his energy from YOU.

Did you watch Grey's this week? I loved that one line "I just ate all of the contents in the refridgerator, including a tub of butter. There is no judgement here". hahhahahahahhaha. I love that show.

Char now refers to you as "Kithy".