Wednesday, February 21, 2007

finally 50!

So...I'm going to be brief about the last couple of days!
Monday was a holiday for normal people but an early morning of rushing to various audition calls. I was "typed out" for the first time for a production of "Thoroughly Modern Millie" in WI. Typing is when they bring you in front of the director in a large group and he looks at you and your resume and puts everyone's resumes in seeminly random piles before calling out the few that he'll keep and hear sing. I was apparently not a cute flapper-to-be. Oh well. I did get to sing Ogunquit which felt great since I had spent 8 hours a few weeks ago trying to crash their EPA. They were really nice and asked how well I tapped. I said, "pretty good" and one asked, "Susan Stroman good?" and I nodded yes and said "no" at the same time. They thought that was funny. :)
Monday night I went to the Bixlers' house in Harlem for a Redeemer Performance Workshop. They host the gathering of musicians once a month and several people play before we all eat dinner together. I ended up singing a short song and reall enjoyed hearing a great Prokofiev quintet and a trumpeter's excerpts for a symphony audition. I met some nice people and it felt so nice to be in a home among children, not to mention a yummy home-cooked meal. Harlem is a little shady though, outside their house, and I was glad for new friends to join on the subway.

Tuesday was disappointing in the audition department, with two failed attempts, including the chorus call for Mary Poppins. I guess I'm not the only one that thinks she can sing "supercalifragilistic..." with charm! I used some of the extra time to bake some brownies for somebody special's upcoming birthday and brought the extras to bible study. Such a great way to make friends! They were a big hit! I'm so thankful for the oasis that the group is for me, and each week I gather more courage to speak up. They are all so smart! I came home to find Adrienne had made an amazing dinner of Chicken Parmesan with pasta and zucchini. Yummers....

After the disappointment of yesterday and the general feeling that every audition I do get to sing, they enjoy me, but don't know what to do with my trained sound, I decided to take the day off auditions to work on my "book" and do some more productive practicing. I went back to NIA class...it had been a while and it was great to shake those bones again. I spent a lot, a lot of time at Staples copying all my new songs for my "book" and was excited to get a phone call from Shari Mowlavi who got engaged last week. She met him on Match only a month ago and her story was better than any romantic comedy I've encountered. I cried and laughed hearing all the juicy details, including the description of her 4-carat rock. Oh my, I'd settle for 1, okay 1/2. Goodness. I did some practicing and organizing before taking a nice walk to the West Side because it's 50 degrees outside!!! Amazing! It's kind of a strange temperature, nearly too hot for the sleeping bag that I am used to wearing at all times. I barely made it to the library before it closed, copying "Come unto Him" for the "Coram Boy" audition that I'm hoping and wishing I'll get seen for. I killed some time working on my acting choices for my songs before heading over to Juilliard to wait in line for their production of "Iphigenie en Aulide" an early French opera. Other than the mezzo, who I had heard before and love, it was a bit boring so i ended up taking off after the first act. And now, it's time for bed. Thanks for checking in. I miss you all, all the time. xoxoxo

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Filip is forever grateful for the brownies, you are the sweetest. 4 carat diamond - ohmygoodness!! I dont think I have ever even seen something that big in real life. Go Match! hahaha.