Saturday, February 3, 2007

Crazy for You!

I woke up this morning at about 6:15. I did not intend to be #2 in line for the open dance call of "Crazy for You." I had set my alarm for 8:30 since last night ended a bit late. But, I was wide awake and ready to fake my way as a dancer. I headed over to Chelsea Studios and arrived there before 8. I guess I was walking through the Hell's Kitchen neighborhood on my way there...not the best, but I did discover they have a flea market there and lots of cheap wig stores if anyone is in the market for one.
Like I said, I was the 2nd girl to arrive and we waited about half an hour in the hallway of the 6th floor before the studios were opened. I was afraid the audition wasn't going to happen because of the low turnout, especially considering the masses that have been showing up at every audition. But, at 10 o'clock the fun began and we were taken as a group of 30 to learn a short tap routine. It really wasn't impossibly hard but I psyched myself out at the beginning, intimidated by leggy dancers in fancy leotards and well-oiled tap shoes. I was lucky enough to be in the last group of three. I wasn't the worst in the room but also not in the top 75% and I didn't get asked to stay to sing. I was hoping my smile and shimmy might have made them forget my missteps. Alas. I knew going into the call, that as a singer-actor-dancer, I would be competing amongst dancer-actor-singers...and I think for now, I'm going to stay away from such calls! I was just proud of myself for not escaping from the room before my number was called.
I came home and intended to take a nap but instead Adrienne helped me put together a match.com profile...haah! Here's to meeting some NYC boys that are not actor-singer-dancers!
I took a walk in the freezing cold weather, finally finding my way across the park from 94th and catching up with friends on the phone.
After I made dinner, (tonight... Adrienne's special salad and a whole-wheat quesadilla) I got to talk to Mom and Dad briefly and hear about my favorite boy. I think that got me crying for about an hour. Sorry for the crazy message, Lis.
I then bravely headed out by myself to a Redeemer praise night for the 20s and 30s group. It reminded me a lot of Sanctuary at MPPC except that the band was soooooooo loud. I seriously could not believe it. No restraint whatsoever. I really loved some of the songs and learned a few new ones. The greatest answer to prayer is that I happened to be sitting next to two girls who I ended up following out to dinner. They were helping lead the after-worship dinner at Arnie's Deli. It turns out they live really near me on the UES and I loved talking to them and hearing about their graduate studies in forensic psychology! I gave Carrie my number and we're planning on meeting up maybe even on Monday. I'm so thankful for the promise of new friends! Okay...need to go to bed!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I love the insider (actor-singer-dancer) speak. Link to your profile?