Friday, February 2, 2007

Fun times in the Actors Equity Building, again.

Thursday I woke up quite early to get a jump on the Tuacahn EPAs at the Actors Equity Building. I won! I was the first EMC signed up and I was sure that this was my day to break through! The way it works is that the building opens at 7:30 and so until then we wait in a line outside. (I think I got there about 7:15). Once inside, they make you stay in your original order and sit and wait until 8:30 when they pass out the appointment times for the equity folks or sign you up on the EMC list (me first!). So, depending on when you get there and when the next Bernadette Peters gets there...you never know who you might have to sit next to for an hour. And I had fun luck on Thursday. The girl next to me had been one of the final girls who got cut from Grease Academy before they went to the live shows. And chance would have it that she recognized the girl sitting across from us from the NY callbacks and so they started chatting about their experiences. Girl across from me is actually Derek's roommate for those of you who watch the show. He is my favorite! It was fun to listen in on their conversation and eventually offer up my opinions. I think the guys are more talented because they chose the Sandys more for look than talent. Adrienne and I think they all have the same face. Anyhoo...that was kind of fun. I waited and read my new play for another 3 hours or so (even getting all made up because I was sure I would be called) before they said the EMCs would definitely not be seen before lunch.
I discovered the Drama Book Shop...apparently very famous and most thrillingly across the street from Parsons School of Design, home of Project Runway! EEEEEEEK! It's Fashion Week here too...I wish I was a somebody so I could go in the tents. Wouldn't that be amazing? Adrienne tells me that even though I'm somebody special, I'm not the right kind of somebody to get an invite. Oh well.
I met Manami so that we could walk over to her voice lesson together. I wanted to observe her lesson with this man who has a pretty unconventional teaching method (mostly alien sounds with no real singing for an hour and only $75 for all that). The great news is that I didn't fall asleep (I got really close) and I have one teacher crossed off my list. Hurrah! I got to meet Manami's husband, Sean, and we talked about getting together for dinner soon.
I went back to the Equity Building to check out the situation....of course, more and more alternates showed up and after waiting for another hour, I took off. I went home and quickly worked out (Adrienne thinks I have issues on days where I go sit at these auditions...I have to feel like I accomplished SOMETHING) and then had dinner and tetris time with Adrienne before fun tv and Backstage perusing.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

What is Backstage perusing? I think you should sneak in the tents. I love that you got Grease Academy gossip. Please call me with more details someday.