Tuesday, February 6, 2007

new friends and a full day!

Today was a great day...it had definite moments of questioning and imperfection...but also wonderful tastes of the community that is being knit in the pockets of NY that I've discovered. The day started early, again, this time for an open call for the Sharon Arts Playhouse. Their season includes a Carousel in concert so I was excited to sing for them. I fought the bitter cold to get to Ripley Grier on 8th Avenue...this time I walked along 32nd and found Koreatown. I need Soon to visit now!
At the audition I found a girl I've been seeing at other EPAs and became acquainted...her name is Emily and I really like her! Yay! I feel like she could be my audition buddy. She is also a Christian and we shared stories about the churches we've been going to. I sang well but didn't get a callback. Oh well. From there, I headed to the Performing Arts Library and had so much fun looking through scores and finding songs and books on acting.
Tuesday has become my favorite day of the week thanks to my fellowship group. I just love the people. They are all so smart yet artsy and humble and full of faith. Even though I had to leave early, I was so inspired and excited and encouraged for the future friends and family I see in them! There was a new guy, Mitch, that moved to NYC a week after I did. He is a pianist and composer and has lived in Paris for the last 6 years. He was quirky and smart and I think he and I will be friends! Yay!
I left early because I was going out to Inwood to observe a few voice lessons taught by a potential new teacher, Carol Kirkpatrick. She was recommended to me by a colleague of Adrienne's at Cornell. The two sopranos I observed had fierce, rich voices with great tops and I was so excited by Carol's teaching. I have a lesson scheduled for tomorrow! She is a warm and no-nonsense kind of a teacher in the vein of Dr. Farwell. I really clicked with Anna, the second student who I joined on the train home. She studied at Indiana and we know some people. I'm excited for her potential friendship!
So that's the daily summary...I'm really thankful for all the points of connection I made with folks. On the bus ride home I started feeling like this could be home, temporarily of course.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Thank you for including those last 3 words.
-The Management

Cheryl S. said...

Amen, sister! But glad you have friends in Vacationland. :-) XO Nana