Thursday, March 29, 2007

the wrong place at the wrong time

On Thursday there were 6 auditions that interested me and sadly, I bet on the wrong horses. I was the 2nd EMC in line for the "Sunday in the Park with George" Roundabout (on Broadway!) call and I left, thinking that I would have to wait awhile to be seen. I headed to Equity to see about singing in some chorus calls. By the time I returned to "Sunday" three of the EMCs behind me in line were lined up to sing and I had missed my number! So then, you get moved to the end of the list. Long sob story short, every EMC ended up getting seen and I never got to sing. And I was too busy waiting to go back to the chorus calls. The bright side is that my friend from my small group, Michelle, who is also an opera singer had come in to wait on the non-equity list and we ran into eachother on the elevator and enjoyed chatting while we waited and wondered when to give up hope. I headed uptown for my coaching with Laura B. which was great as always, working my mix-belt and running through new songs.
Just for some added torture, I headed back to "Sunday" where I was so pleasantly surprised to run into my dear friend Nora from CCM. I had not seen her for a few years and I had no idea she was also dipping her toes into the theatre pool. We had so much fun catching up and sitting without a chance of being seen. It all goes back to my theory of these equity calls...the later in the day, the less chance you'll have to get seen...which is why I should have NEVER left! Alas! I dragged Nora up a few flights of stairs for a non-Equity audition that I had an appointment for. We both sang and helped some really rich lost people find their way to a studio down the hall that was hosting a producers' meeting for a new musical. The fun thing about these audition spaces is that you never know who will be down the hall, rehearsing, auditioning or signing a check! My friend Jenny just met Ben Vereen at a different but similar studio because he was directed into her room by mistake! Fun.
Nora walked me to the East Side and I was able to barely make it home to drop off my heavy books before heading back to Theatre 1010's callback. I ended up sitting in a chair that was in the direct line of some intense lights. As the director was explaining that many of the leads were pre-cast I guess I was squinting or furrowing my brow. He totally called me out in front of everyone saying that I looked like that was unexpected information. I quickly replied, "no, it's just the lights" and got a few chuckles. You can't make the director mad before the call-back! It was a pretty interminable experience with groups going down to read and everyone reading several scenes and learning 4 measures of harmony and then each one performing a monologue from the show. I was one of the last to do the final reading and he said, "very good, so much talent, I don't know what to do." I was so happy to reconnect with my friend Kat who was also called back and arrived late. The director said to Kat, "So much talent, I think I'll just throw up all the resumes and see who lands on top." GRRRRRRRrrrrrrreat. Considering the fact that I don't play the clarinet or even the kazoo while some girls had carted in their accordions and trombones, I knew my chances were slim. You don't even need to fast forward to Sunday to find out that I didn't get that job.

No comments: