Friday, March 30, 2007

first paying gig!

Monday started nice and early with a 5:55 am wake up call. I've found that if I don't get to the gym in the morning, I likely won't get there...and I need to get there! Plus, I like doing my hair routine in the locker room...I don't have to worry about clogging up our shower with all that finger combing! Too much information?
Anyhoo...I was first in the EMC line (this is becoming a theme, eh?) at The Depot Theatre's EPA at Ripley-Grier. It was actually pretty empty and I would have gotten to sing in the first or second group except that their scheduled pianist didn't show up and they had to call someone else and ended up starting an hour late! I still got to sing by 11:30 but I was awestruck by how one person's error can alter the pace of so many poor actor's days! I didn't feel like I was very warmed up but I used the opportunity of singing with a really great pianist to try out a more character-y song....the good news is that I was leaving they asked me about my June availability and said they had a different project for which they would keep me on hold. Yay! Anything is better than "Thank you very much."
I had an appointment for Arundel Barn where I attempted to sing my more "pop" and "belt" styles...they were really nice and complimentary but we all knew I wasn't right for their season. In singing my "pop" song I totally went up on the words and I realized it's because I was focusing on sounding not like an opera singer instead of focusing on saying the text and meaning it. Note to self: when you don't know what you're communicating, you're going to screw up. Yep.
I ran over to the Redeemer offices after that audition to sing for Miriam and Tom. Redeemer doesn't have a regular choir for its services but employs the professional musicians within the church from time to time to sing in small ensembles, lead worship, play quartets, etc. Laura B. had been bugging me to go sing for them and when we went out to dinner on Saturday with Miriam she had said I could come by. She had totally forgotten and she had never told Tom so I felt it was a bit awkward. But I sang some Handel and then a more poppy show-tune as well as "He is exalted." I think Miriam was more into me than Tom and she hired me to sing in the Easter choir on the East-side...it's all professional singers and we'll be singing Messiah excerpts...yippee! And how funny that my first paid gig in NYC is coming from my church?
I came home and made dinner for Jon and Adrienne before we headed out for the New York Musical Theatre Festival's Spring Concert Series production of "The Authorized Musicology of Ben Folds Five." Oh my gosh! It was AMAZING from start to finish. First of all, I found these half-price tix on Goldstar for only $25 and the Zipper Theatre only seats 300. I felt like we were so priviledged to be there! The theatre is amazing...in the garmet district (thus the zipper theatre, it's right next to a zipper factory)...and all the seats are old train benches or dodge caravan seats....literally, discarded guts of minivans lined up next to eachother....makes for a very comfy seat! The performers, all Broadway stars, were AMAZING! We were especially excited to see Ashley Parker Angel (of MTV fame and now in Hairspray) who sang a really beautiful "Brick." My new favorite from Spelling Bee, Lisa Howard (and CCM grad!) was awesome and I have a new crush on Michael Arden. Basically it was just a straight concert of songs but each actor brought tons of depth to the lyrics and I could see how Ben Folds was made for theatre people! Tons of drama and fun! Will Chase who I'd met when he starred in "Little Princess" at Theatreworks was also awesome and I loved the passion and guts of the pianist. Such a fun night!!!!! I just felt so lucky to be there, soaking up all that talent. And of course, now, I'm a huge Ben Folds Five fan! Amazing songs!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

What does "singing up" mean? How much is your church paying you? That is awesome!!!!!!!