Thursday, March 29, 2007

Fun with Redeemer Girls!

I woke up early (masochist, I know) to go to they gym before Redeemer Spring Volunteer Choir Rehearsal! Yay! So fun! Laura B. conducted us and asked me to come sing and I would do anything for her and I was so excited to meet some new folks and sing! My first NY performance. Over 50 people showed up to sing, more than they've ever had, including some past and present stars of Broadway. One guy is in the ensemble of Les Mis and had two shows and still came to rehearsal. We sang an excerpt from the Dubois "Seven Last Words of Christ" as well as a Craig Courteney piece. After rehearsal I killed some time on 8th Avenue before heading to an audition appointment I had for a play. Yes, a play. I did my schizophrenic teenage monologue that so needs to hit the recycling bin. And now I know why people say they see me and don't know what to do with me! Late 20s woman who could pass for ethnic/exotic doing monologue by a schizo-teenage-cheerleader. Seems simple, right?
Laura B. had organized a girls night out and we met up for dinner at Dallas BBQ before heading to a Mary Magdalene one-woman show. It was such a fun group and I met Miriam, the music director of the East Side Redeemer service, as well as Kathy, an opera singer and Allison, a musical theatre gal. Allison not only has a very cute daughter named Gracie but is actually married to the Burger King. Yes, the guy in all those commercials is her husband! Dallas BBQ is on 42nd Street and boasts perhaps the largest dining room I've ever seen. It's pretty cheap to eat there and it attracts an "exciting" crowd. Great fun was had and we were happy campers heading to Mary's story, a Christian musical staged at the Salvation Army's Theatre. The theatre is actually really beautiful and the singer was also lovely and a CCM grad! We thought the show could use some work and a bit more variety. One woman shows where the receiver is ever only Jesus are perhaps just a little harder for the audience. That's my guess. Kathy is covering Mabel at New York City Opera so she had to stay in town until 10:30 so we all supported her by stopping in at a Starbucks where i ran into my friend DaRon who works there. I was excited to hear some of his great callback news.
I took the train home by myself, not many of the music types live on the East side, and was happy to talk to Charile :) when I returned home!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

"Allison not only has a very cute daughter named Gracie but is actually married to the Burger King."

This cracks me up!!!!!!!!!!