Thursday, March 29, 2007

I should have played the clarinet

Even though I got to bed after 1 am, I forced myself to wake up at dawn and live the dream, i.e. stand in line at the Actors' Equity building to audition. Half-asleep I put myself on 2 EMC lists and got to sing in the first group for one of them! amazing! I love it when the Equity actors start getting hired and don't need to be at every audition in the land! Yippee! I sang "de-lovely" and I was told it was excellent and truly de-lovely. But no callback! I'd rather be de-average and called back. Oh well! I didn't get into the 2nd audition and went home to re-charge at the gym before heading back to an audition for a theatre company in my neighborhood. The theatre is in the basement of a Park Ave. church. When we arrived we were individually warned not to leave the holding room because children of diplomats were in the building. But, of course. Wouldn't want to have a run-in with an ambassador's toddlers. The audition was for Kurt Weill's "Happy End." It was an Equity audition but there was a relatively low turn-out so I got to sing without a long wait. Like every other theatre company in the WORLD, they are doing a John Doyle-esque production where the actors have to play instruments. Isn't it enough to sing, dance and act all at the same time? Now you want us to play the clarinet as well? "Happy End" centers around the Salvation Army so I guess they are hoping to outfit a real band. Anyhoo...suprisingly I still got a callback, with or without my kazoo.

No comments: