Saturday, May 5, 2007

i *heart* donna murphy

Many of you probably know that my favorite movie of all time is "Center Stage." Basically it's a movie about young ballet dancers auditioning to be company members of the "American Ballet Company." Its genius lies in the casting...real dancers from ABT and SF Ballet who can't act or use their words. And, ay mio, the words they have to use...well, the writing is so bad it's brilliant. One anomaly in the cast is a real actress and a Broadway legend, Donna Murphy, as the driven and seemingly heartless ballet teacher. In one of my favorite scenes, she encourages the sassy Harlem-bred Eva to drill at the barre. "This is your home," she says, "come back to your home." Ah, classic.
Well, this afternoon I was so lucky to see that same classy lady star in a new Broadway musical based on the lives of Kurt Weill and Lotte Lenya called, "LoveMusik." The musical's writer pasted Kurt Weill songs into a story about their love and escape from Nazi Germany. My friend Amy K, an excellent singer-actress herself and a moonlighting theatre reviewer, offered me her extra comp ticket for the matinee. I'm thrilled to have friends in high places! We had great seats for what turned out to be a master-class in embodying a character. Both Ms. Murphy and Michael Cerveris as Kurt Weill captivated me and drew me into their world. Highlights were "Surabaya Johnny" and "It never was you." What an amazing week of live theatre for me!!! I feel so, so lucky!
Amy and I grabbed some coffee and hung out in a neat courtyard on 47th and 9th. We gushed over our favorite parts and questioned some random moments in the ensemble. I just love hanging out with her and I'm so glad we've reconnected. I was excited to meet her boyfriend Don before we parted ways. They were on their way to see Audra McDonald in "110 in the Shade." Amy is doing double-reviewing this weekend! On my way home I made two discoveries. First, there really is a restaurant row on 46th street. I had heard about it and it is really just restaurant upon restaurant. So fun! Second, I think I successfully answered my first tourist question!!! Yay! Usually people ask me questions and I have NO idea but these folks were looking for the TKTS booth and I actually pointed them in the right direction. I'm becoming a NYC expert, eh?
I went home and had to make an outfit change because of a sudden chill in the wind. I met up with Karim for a giganto salad in midtown. We had lots of giggles and made copies of a rare Rameau opera fascimile he was borrowing before indulging in a little Haagen-Daaz. MMMMMMM.....I really am going to get back to that no-sugar idea soon. I'm really enjoying the one-on-one time with Karim...it's like the olden days in Houston.
Now it's time for bed! I'm 3 for 3 in the caught-up dept. Wihoo!

No comments: