Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Heading to CA again...

Monday was home-improvement day. Since I don’t have much time in NYC before I go off to Millbrook I’ve started to feel the pressure of getting my room together for my subletter. Definitely a blessing and a curse! I walked to Home Depot, checked out the wares and then browsed the Container Store and Bed Bath and Beyond where I found bed-risers and rug tape as well as a dust ruffle that perfectly matches my bed! I lugged back to Home Depot and purchased a lamp and some underbed storage boxes and then spent most of the afternoon organizing, cleaning and actually, mostly stressing over how this was all going to come together. It’s not nearly done, of course. But at least I got a start. The weather was magnificent so I broke the stress and took a run around the reservoir. I seem to always gravitate to running in the park the days before I leave for CA, perhaps to hold onto my favorite place in NYC. My dreams of laundry were foiled by another dryer fire in our basement, placing our laundry room on a temporary hiatus. I went by Barnes and Noble to pick up a going away present for the Seals. They are moving back to Amarillo at the end of the week! Boo. I was thrilled to hear how well Adrienne’s event at Cornell went and had planned to celebrate with her and Jon. But I had also called Laura and asked if I could stop by. She ended up getting me to join them for dinner at Nick’s, a family-style pizza joint on my favorite avenue. I just love that family and they were appropriately excited and interrogating about my date and I heard how they had seen all of NYC that they had intended to in their year of adventure. I went back to their place for a little more play-time, with lots of stories exchanged with Tressa about Dora and Diego, and even the fish bathtoy I named “Elberta.” I had to scoop myself away to pack for this trip and I said goodbye knowing I have lost my most favorite neighbors NYC could have ever brought. ☹ Boo. But, again, soooooooo thankful that God reconnected us, after 10 years of no contact, at that silly subway stop in midtown in February. What a great, great blessing! I will miss them and even though I didn’t get to spend tons of time with them, just knowing they were across the street, was such a joy and a comfort.

I was up till about 10:30 packing for CA and CO and this morning the alarm woke me at 3:15. Not as early as the last trip but it turns out, a little earlier than necessary. I got in a cab and arrived at Penn Station before 4 which is tooooooooooooo early. It was one of the shadiest and scariest environments I’ve been in. The NJ Transit doesn’t open their gates until 4 and so there I was with my laptop and backpack and large red suitcase. A coffee stand employee at the place across the way from the station must have read my fear and offered to let me stay inside in the light with them until the station opened. Still, scary Larry. So, next time I’ll be aiming for a 4;15 arrival to hop on that first 4:20 train. I made it, and once again, I’m thankful. Can’t wait to be home and see Charlie and everyone else I love!!!!

No comments: