Friday, March 28, 2008

Ode to the ECC

I now know what it's like on the other side off the room, or "the table" as they say in the land of the biz.

Today I had the unique and amazing opportunity to sit behind the auditor's table of an Equity Chorus Call (ECC) for a musical that expects to open on Broadway at the end of this year.

For 3 and a half hours I sat and watched each girl enter, eyeing every ripped pair of hose, too-short skirt and nervous perma-smile. Relaxed to be on the other side, I drank in what made each audition refreshing, painful, pleasant or forgettable. It was a fascinating education, worth hundreds of dollars in workshop fees and I came away with songs I want to learn, songs I want to forget and stories to keep me giggling. As if that wasn't enough, the notes I jotted down inspired my first stab at poetry.

So here I offer you, Ode to the ECC.

chills.
short skirt. arms go up, skirt is shorter.
not a lot of hose.
small room.
not really acting but who cares?
track outfit on a skirt.
psychotic laugh.
hi, i'm betsy.
hate this song.
don't be this girl.
solid.
small room.

3 comments:

Cheryl S. said...

Poet can be your backup career! You go, girl. Love the gory details. And love your getting this insider opportunity.

FancyPants said...

I almost went to that! That would have MADE MY DAY to walk in that room and see you sitting there.

So did y'all see non-eq? =-)

Lisa said...

I MUST know more. Calling you tomorrow. xoxo